Through a generous donation from Susan Moffat and Nick Barbaro, as well as strong partnerships with Austin Voices for Education and Youth (ABEY), E3 Alliance, Texas Capital Bank, and 3M, Martin Middle School has created a markerspace to provide opportunities for its students to innovate and design.
What is a makerspace?
A makerspace is a place where individuals collaborate with others to learn, tinker, design, and build solutions to real-world problems using resources and tools. It is a place where creativity and problem-solving come to life.
What kinds of tools can I find in our makerspace?
- Furniture that supports students while working in groups
- Classroom tools like glue guns and scissors
- Hand tools like hammers, screwdrivers, and drills
- Audio/Visual tools like interactive boards, desktop computers, professional cameras, audio recorders, and production equipment
- Electronic tools like 3D printers, circuitry kits, and robots
- Arts and Craft tools like sewing machines and kits
- Reusable materials like paper cups, plastic bottles, toothpicks, craft sticks, pipe cleaners, and cardboard
What projects can I work on in our makerspace?
The sky is the limit! Students can tinker individually to create an invention or collaborate with a group of students to design and build a solutino to a real-world problem. Some projects may include:
- Building a structure out of gumdrops and toothpicks that holds a heavy textbook
- Building and coding a robot to pick up the trash on the floor
- Desigining a costume for a school play • Produce a documentary that tells a story from Martin MS
- Design a 3D object to assist someone with special needs
- Build a circuit to create illuminated jewelry
How can I help?
Have you recently found lots of old junk while you cleaned out a closet? Don't throw it away! Our makerspace can reuse lots of different materials. Please donate!
- Paper towel or toilet paper rolls
- Egg cartons
- Plastic bottles
- Wine corks
- Glass jars
- Plastic containers
- DVD/VCR players
- Video games
Arts and Crafts
- Pipe cleaners
- Craft sticks
- Fishing line